Director: Mr. METUGE AKAME Manfred,
General Administrator of Prisons
Decree N ° 2012/389 of 18 September 2012 (Click here to download)
PRESENTATION OF THE DEPARTMENT OF PRISON ADMINISTRATION
The Department of Prison Administration is part of MINJUSTICE's structures. This is placed under the authority of a Director.
In concrete terms, she is responsible, among other things:
- Organization and monitoring of the functioning of the services under the Penitentiary Administration;
- The definition of standards for the enforcement of sentences;
- Monitoring the execution of prison sentences, custody and pretrial detention;
- Respect, promotion and protection of human rights in prisons;
- Development and monitoring of the implementation of plans and programs of work and production activities, as part of the development of the human potential in detention;
- The development and monitoring of the implementation of plans and programs for the rehabilitation and social reintegration of prisoners;
- The design and monitoring of the implementation of measures and plans relating to the security of penitentiary institutions;
- Health, hygiene and prophylaxis in prisons, in relation with the Ministry of Health and the organizations concerned;
- Human Resources Planning Management of the Penitentiary Administration;
- Recruitment, training and retraining of Penitentiary Administration staff, in liaison with the Ministries in charge of the civil service and finance;
- Career management of the staff of the Penitentiary Administration, in liaison with the Ministries in charge of the civil service and finance;
- The definition of norms and the follow-up of studies relating to the development and rehabilitation of penitentiary infrastructures;
- Monitoring activities related to the education of detained minors, in liaison with the Ministry of Social Affairs;
- Cooperation with other countries to develop the capacities of the Cameroonian Penitentiary Administration;
- Co-operation with national, regional and international institutions in the field of corrections and corrections.
The Directorate of Prison Administration includes:
- Cell of Studies and Cooperation;
- The Sub-Directorate of Penitentiary Staff;
- Sub-Directorate of Infrastructures, Penitentiary Facilities and Budget;
- The Sub-Directorate for the Execution of Penalties, Penitentiary Production and Social Reintegration of Detainees;
- The Sub-Directorate of Prison Health;
- The Order Service;
- The Documentation and Archives Service.
The detailed missions of these structures are contained in the attached document in accordance with Decree No. 2012/389 of 18 September 2012 on the organization of the Ministry of Justice.